FX School's project-oriented courses in CG Animation are designed to help you to become a highly skilled, production-ready professional in the Animation, Visual Effects and Gaming industry. In addition to acquiring a strong foundation in the Unity game engine, you master cutting edge techniques in Blender and also learn to create high-end visual effects in Houdini.
FX School offers an 11-month Advanced Certificate course comprising four modules and a Professional Certificate course comprising a 3-month Professional Project Development module that enables you to make a high-quality short film showcasing your CG skills, which will be closely mentored by our CG faculty.Click here for More Course Info
Advanced Certificate in CG Animation
Module 1: Foundation
The Foundation module in Gaming and Computer Graphics aims to give the student an understanding of CGI and the Gaming Industry including their Production Pipelines. Students will learn the basics of Blender and the Unity game engine.
Course Outline Computer Graphics
- Understanding 3D Space and Elements
- Introduction to Blender
- Camera Animation
- Introduction to Blender & Blender Tools
- Asset Layout in Blender
- Modeling Tools
- Basic UV Editing and Shading
- Using Photoshop for Texturing
- Texture Baking in Blender
- Creating and Exporting Game-ready Assets in Blender
Course Outline Game Design & Development
- Gaming Platforms and Markets
- Project Management in Unity
- Game Production Pipeline & Documentation
- Introduction to Unity
- Importing of Assets into Unity
- Creating an Environment in Unity
- Lighting Techniques in Unity
Module 2: Specialisation (Introduction to Animation and Enhanced Texturing techniques)
The Specialisation module in Computer Graphics Animation in Blender aims at helping you acquire key skills like advanced modeling, unwrapping, advanced camera animation, constraint animation and high-end rendering among other things.
- Professional approach to modeling using polygons
- Object texturing
- Unwrapping UVs
- Shading in relation to texture
- Various lighting processes and their application
- Constraint animation
- Bone based animation
- Camera animation
- Introduction to high-end rendering engines
Module 3: Advanced 3D Techniques and Look Development in Blender
In this module, you will learn advanced concepts and tools in Blender. On successful completion of this module, you will be equipped with superior technical skills that will enable you to fit seamlessly in a studio production environment and give you an edge in the job market.
- Sculpting in Blender
- Introduction to Cloth, Hair and Particles
- Rigid Body Dynamics
- Advanced UV Editing and Texturing
- HDR Lighting
- Look Development using PBR Shader
- Using Real-time Rendering Engine
Module 4: Advanced Particle and Pyro Effects in Houdini
This objective of this module is to introduce students to Houdini, a powerful software used for producing blockbuster Hollywood VFX movies, TV series and games such as Zootopia, Dr Strange, Blade Runner 2049, Game of Thrones and Far Cry 5.
In this module, students learn the core concepts of Houdini and explore important Effects and Simulation tools. They use the power of Rigid Body Dynamics and Geometry Fracturing in order to create complex destruction scenes.
This module prepares students to fit into a studio production environment. Students who complete this module will have superior technical skills and a definite edge in the job market.
- Introduction to Houdini Interface
- Geometry Tools
- VOP’s Geo Attributes and Noise
- Advanced Copy and Instancing
- Particles in Houdini
- Intermediate Particle Concepts
- Introduction to Rigid Body Simulation and PyroFX:
- Geometry Fracturing
- RBD: Pin, Strings and Glue Constraints
- RBD Optimization techniques
- RBD Data-driven Particles and Debris
- Pyro: Introduction to Smoke FX
- Pyro: Intermediate Smoke FX
- Pyro: Introduction to Fire FX
- Pyro: Explosion FX
- Pyro: Clustering
- Introduction to Rendering
- Building an FX shot
- Refining your FX shot
- Polish and Presentation
Professional Certificate in CG Animation
Professional Project Development (PPD)
The aim of the course is to create a high-end short film, from scratch to finish. This is a three month mentored production course, in which either the individual or a group creates a CG animation short. The entire process will be quality, schedule and constraint driven. There will be meetings at regular pre-determined intervals with the faculty to monitor progress.
- Advanced Tone Mapping (Color Depth, sRGB and Linear Color Space etc.)
- Advanced Scene Integration Process especially for tackling complex and heavy project files (How to Stabilize CG Scenes for Easy Rendering)
- Using Kelvin Scale/Color Temperature for Professional Quality Lighting
- Brief, Script and Treatment note
- Pre-Production: Storyboarding and Concept Art
- Modelling, Layouts and Asset creation
- Texturing to match the visual style of the film
- Animation/Effects Production
- Final Rendering
- Post Production
New Batch Starts on 10th May
Student Work / Showreel / About Course
C B Arun KumarAcademic Director
C B Arun Kumar has worked in the Animation & Broadcast Industry in India since 1985. He did his Masters from MCRC, Jamia Milia Islamia in 1989.
He has worked with TV18, Business India TV (TVI), Aaj Tak, Doordarshan, Vijay TV, Maya Entertainment and Pixion.
He worked on the first Indian 3D animation series, "Jungle Tales" (for Cartoon Network) with Moving Picture Company.
He was awarded the National Award for Best Director of an Animation Film (2005) for "Kachua aur Khargosh."
Atanu Roy Technical Director
A “look and feel” specialist, Atanu Roy has over 17 years of experience in CG and Visual Effects. He has worked in leading companies such as Prana Studios, Pixion, Pentamedia, Blowfishfx Limited, Fat Lizard Entertainment and Maya Entertainment Ltd. He has been a Lighting Lead on feature films such as Dungeons and Dragons, Belka Strelka, and Mangal Pandey; TV Shows such as the BBC's The Tale of Jack Frost (which was nominated for the Children's BAFTA); and games such as Disney Princess and The Cat in the Hat.
Ruth Mapgaonkar Faculty
After completing her Masters in Mass Communication from the California State University at San Jose, USA, Ruth followed a career in Media and Advertising for 8 years.
In the US she worked on TV networks and brands such as NBC11, Dish Network and Western Union. On moving back to India she joined Draft FCB, a leading advertising agency, after which she worked with Miditech and Applause Entertainment on TV shows for Pogo and Sab TV.
To add to her skill set, she completed her Diploma in CG Animation at FX School and had a life-altering moment where she figured out that CG was her passion. An avid gamer from her early years, she got to live her dream at Kreeda Games, working on games across various platforms notably F1 for iOS and Yoville for Facebook.