FX School, Mumbai's first Unity Authorised Training Centre, offers a 12-month Diploma in Game Design & Development and a 6-month Unity Certified Developer course. The 12-month course is designed for students who wish to create all aspects of their own high-end 3D game enabled for Oculus Rift from scratch, while the 6-month course is for those who wish to become Unity Certified developers. Students may choose to pursue either of the two courses or both.Click here for More Course Info
Game Design and Development
The course comprises 3 months of Foundation, 3 months of Specialization and 2 Pro course modules of 3 months
Game Design & Development students begin their Diploma Course with FX School’s intensive 3-month Foundation course, which provides a critical introduction to the world of CG, Visual Effects and Digital Art. The course enables you to learn some very essential, fundamental skills and gives you a greater understanding of the interrelationship between the different disciplines for creating cutting-edge 3D games.
- Essentials of drawing, perspective and colour using a digital pen and tablet
- Key VFX concepts, tools and techniques such as selection tools, clean-up tools, colour adjustment and time remapping
- Understanding of the world of 3D vis-à-vis the real world
- Interface and tools of 3D software
- Creating 3D assets
The Specialisation module in Game Design and Development aims to give the student core skills to start designing and customizing levels in a game.
- Asset creation in a 3D software
- UV unwrapping
- Basic lighting & texturing for the level inside Unreal
- Customized materials and lighting
- Introduction to Camera inside Unreal
The Pro 1 module in Game Design and Development introduces students to more advanced concepts and techniques in Unreal Engine. Students who complete this module will have the skills to create a complex level with innovative texturing, lighting and blueprinting.
- Advanced Lighting & Texturing
- Blueprinting for the Level
- Class Blueprinting
- Construction Scripts
- Blueprints For Pick-Ups (1)
In the Pro 2 module in Game Design and Development students will create a functioning level using advanced blueprinting. This project will be ready for use with the Oculus Rift.
- Blueprints For Pick-Ups (2)
- Adding a Matinee Actor
- Incorporating the UI/UX for the Game
- Adding VFX elements (Particles & Atmospherics)
- Packaging the Game for PCs
- Introduction to VR and making a VR-compatible Level
- Packaging the Game for Oculus Rift
Unity Certified Developer Course
This course prepares you to take the Unity Developer Certification Exam. Becoming a Unity certified Developer is a valuable professional credential that validates your game design and development skills to potential employers.
- The Game Production Pipeline
- The Game Industry
- The Economics of Game Development
- Begin creating a game project
- Understanding Project structure
- Importing, categorizing and organising assets
- Level Design
- Preparing game assets for Implementation
- Physics in the unity game engine
- Applying materials to game objects
- Building a game level
- Lighting the level
- Importing animated characters & Implementing them in the game
- Basic Scripting
- Navigation and Pathfinding
- Building Player and Enemy characters
- Particle systems
- Implementing audio
- User Interface design
- Building the game for PC
- Optimising the game for Mobile development
New Batch Starts on 5th July
Student Work / Showreel / About Course
C B Arun KumarAcademic Director
C B Arun Kumar has worked in the Animation & Broadcast Industry in India since 1985. He did his Masters from MCRC, Jamia Milia Islamia in 1989.
He has worked with TV18, Business India TV (TVI), Aaj Tak, Doordarshan, Vijay TV, Maya Entertainment and Pixion.
He worked on the first Indian 3D animation series, Jungle Tales (for Cartoon Network) with Moving Picture Company.
He was awarded the National Award for Best Director of an Animation Film (2005) for Kachua aur Khargosh.
Atanu RoyTechnical Director
A “look and feel” specialist, Atanu Roy has over 17 years of experience in CG and Visual Effects. He has worked in leading companies such as Prana Studios, Pixion, Pentamedia, Blowfishfx Limited, Fat Lizard Entertainment and Maya Entertainment Ltd. He has been a Lighting Lead on feature films such as Dungeons and Dragons, Belka Strelka, and Mangal Pandey; TV Shows such as the BBC's The Tale of Jack Frost (which was nominated for the Children's BAFTA); and games such as Disney Princess and The Cat in the Hat.
Mazdiar Santoke Senior Instructor
Mazdiar has many years of experience as a VFX artist with leading production houses such Prime Focus, Eyecube and Reliance Media Works. The Hindi feature films he has worked on include Guru, Shootout at Lokhandwala, Welcome, Chandni Chowk to China, Love Story 2050 and Blue. He has also worked on major Hollywood films such as Tron Legacy, Moby Dick, 28 Weeks Later and Agent Crush. In addition, he has worked on many international TV serials. His key strengths are BG Preparation and compositing CG with Live Action footage.
Ruth Mapgaonkar Faculty
After completing her Masters in Mass Communication from the California State University at San Jose, USA, Ruth followed a career in Media and Advertising for 8 years.
In the US she worked on TV networks and brands such as NBC11, Dish Network and Western Union. On moving back to India she joined Draft FCB, a leading advertising agency, after which she worked with Miditech and Applause Entertainment on TV shows for Pogo and Sab TV.
To add to her skill set, she completed her Diploma in CG Animation at FX School and had a life-altering moment where she figured out that CG was her passion. An avid gamer from her early years, she got to live her dream at Kreeda Games, working on games across various platforms notably F1 for iOS and Yoville for Facebook.
Why FX School
- State of the Art GAMING LAB powered by high end GPUs
- Oculus Rift VR (Virtual Reality) Development Kits
- Award-Winning Students & Alumni
- Internationally Trained Faculty
- Project-oriented curriculum that ensures you have a quality show-reel at the end of the course
Shraddha AsharDiploma in CG Animation 2014
From the first day, FX School and its faculty made my year there a fun ride of learning and sharing. It was like a home away from home. I would like to thank this school for giving me an opportunity to be a part of it. The ambience FX School provides is like a cherry on the cake. A special thanks to the CG faculty for their immense support and for sharing their experiences with us at every stage of our journey. The experience I had at FX School will be an unforgettable one and I will miss it a lot. I would love to come back again to learn more.
Prachi Shah Diploma in CG Animation 2014
I had a very joyful journey at FX School. Learning elsewhere would have just not matched up. The CG faculty here are the best people at their job. They taught us in the most understandable and also fun way. I want to thank FX School for letting me explore and learn new things. :) It was a treat learning at FX School!
Mushthakh Ahamed Diploma in CG Animation 2014
Learning at FX School has been a wonderful experience—I would say a turning point in my life. The Faculty here are simply the Best! And the people I met were so creative! My time at FX School was like a Reboot for my life. I wish for FX School to keep growing always.